Destination Christmas: All wrapped up
In 2023 we delivered our third Destination Christmas campaign. The campaign, which won an award for its inaugural year in 2021, positions the Harrogate area as a first-choice festive destination.
The campaign showcases everything that makes Harrogate and the surrounding area a perfect choice for a Christmas break from festive events and experiences to magical accommodation to our very own Harrogate Christmas Fayre.
Campaign activity is targeted within a 1.5/2hour drive time to capture the day trip and mini-break market with our main objective to encourage visitors to stay overnight, spend in our local shops, restaurants, cafes and visit our attractions, all contributing to the local economy.
The campaign used a multi-channel approach including print, digital, video, photography, PR and influencer activity.
Leading with the campaign strapline of “Your Christmas Starts Here…” which could be interchanged according to location, the campaign content showcased seven attraction and accommodation partners, as well as the Christmas offerings in Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough, as well as the unique community events that take place in Boroughbridge, Masham and Pateley Bridge.
Results from the 2023 campaign showed another successful festive season of marketing activity with the data collected both from visitors to the Harrogate Christmas Fayre and from the campaign activity suggesting that our objective was achieved.
- 61% of visitors and 53% of locals stated that their primary reason for being in town was for the Christmas offer
- 36% of visitors were on their first visit to Harrogate and 64% were repeat visitors
- Both of the above indicate that the Harrogate Christmas Fayre and accompanying activities are driving footfall into the area
- The majority (62%) of those surveyed were staying for two or three nights and 12% for longer still (four to five nights)
- Hotel occupancy during the Christmas period increased 3% on last year and by 20% on 2021
- The most cited influence on people’s decision to visit, aside from previous experience and word of mouth, was the visitharrogate.co.uk Christmas pages (25%) and Facebook (18%)
- 20,000 Christmas guides printed and distributed
- A Sky AdSmart TV campaign reached over 200,000 households across Yorkshire and the North East
- The dedicated Christmas website pages, to which all campaign traffic is directed received 147,470 visits from 80,403 people
- The combined paid for social media campaigns had a reach of over 400,000 with organic posts reaching around 300,000
- The Christmas teaser video, made live in October alone received a reach of over 350,000
- The Festive New Year competition featuring prizes from partners received over 5,000 entries
- Two social media “Like & Share” competitions had a reach of over 45,000
If you would like to get involved with our Christmas campaign for 2024, keep your eyes peeled for details or contact us to let us know you’re interested at email@example.com.